Business organisations are constantly engaged in decision-making related to financial planning, investments, and capital purchases. Thus, managers are constantly battling questions such as- how to value assets, what is a good investment, whether a project will create value, and much more. Because the right financial decisions play a critical role in maximising an organisation’s business value.
The IIMBx MOOC Corporate Finance will address the issues that generally confront managers in the decision-making phase and, thereby, help them make value-enhancing decisions.
This Business and Management course will introduce learners to the role of Corporate Finance in an organisation, and the tools used to evaluate investment proposals. The course will cover commonly used tools and techniques that help managers make decisions that create value for their organisations such as time value of money, opportunity cost, net present value, and internal rate of return.
Week 1 - Overview of Corporate Finance
• Forms of Business Organization • Role of the Finance Manager • Assets and Sources of Funds • Separation of Ownership and Management • The Corporation and the Stock Market
Week 2 - Time Value of Money
• Simple and Compound Interest Rate
• Annual Percentage Rate and Effective Annual Rate
• Future Value and Present Value
• Valuing a Perpetuity
• Valuing an Annuity
• Planning for Retirement
Week 3 - Bonds and Stocks
• Bond Terminology and Valuation • Yield to Maturity • Risk of Investing in Bonds • Stock Price, Dividends and Return • Multiples Based Evaluation
Week 4 - Capital Budgeting: Decision Tools
• Payback Period • Net Present Value (NPV) • Internal Rate of Return (IRR) • NPV vs IRR • Profitability Index
Week 5 - Capital Budgeting: Estimation and Applications
• Forecasting Earnings • Estimating Free Cash Flow • Discount Rate for Capital Budgeting • Mini Case Study
By the end of this MOOC, learners will be able to
- Define the concept of the time value of money
- Discuss the basics of bonds and stocks
- Explain the capital budgeting techniques
- Estimate cash flows for investment decision
Executives, Managers, Students pursuing post graduate and anyone who wants to upskill themselves in the field of corporate finance.
” I really like the course because it gives practical examples as well as theory and I was able to do the excercises by myself while listening. I think it was really helpful to refresh key concepts of Corporate Finance.”- Nicoletta Cormanni
” Course is very useful in day to day professional life, it help to develop clear understanding of corporate finance.” –Jitendra Tirthyani