Advanced Corporate Strategy
3-4 hours per week
This course is offered for students who seek advanced exposure to corporate strategy. It builds on IIMBx course “Strategic Management” which dealt with strategies for single business firms. The principal focus of this course will be the strategic issues that are faced by firms operating in more complex, multi-dimensional environments.
The course deals with:
- Theoretical roots of corporate strategy
- The impact of context on corporate strategy of businesses
- Exploration of the boundaries of firm
- Formulation of corporate strategy and appreciation of its limits.
This course provides students with the requisite combination of analytical and conceptual skills needed to grapple with the complex problems of development and execution of corporate strategy for firms that operate across industries and across national boundaries.
Week 1: Corporate Advantage
- Course Overview
- What is Corporate Advantage?
- Costs of a Multi-business Firm
- Managing a Portfolio of Businesses
- Role of Corporate Office
Week 2: Product Diversification
- What is Product Diversification?
- Motives for Diversification
- Diversification and Performance
- Diversification in Emerging Economies
Week 3: Vertical Integration
- Overview of module
- Motives for Vertical Integration
- Vertical Integration and Performance
- Vertical Integration in Emerging Economies
Week 4: Geographic Diversification
- Motives for Geographic Diversification
- Managing the Globally Diversified Firm
- Geographic Diversification and Performance
- Entry Decision
- Geographic Diversification by Firms in Emerging Economies
Week 5: Modes of Diversification
- The Alliance Process
- Acquisitions, Mergers and Divestitures
- Internationalization: Choosing the Appropriate Model
By the end of this MOOC, learners will be able to:
- Apply the important analytical approaches and frameworks that underline the domain of corporate strategy in their corporate practice
- Explain how multi-business firms create and appropriate value through diversification, vertical integration, strategic alliances, mergers and acquisitions, and globalisation
- Elaborate on how to manage: (a) a diversified company; (b) outsourcing; (c) alliances; (d) post-merger integration and (e) a multinational firm
Managers, Corporate Strategists, Students pursuing postgraduate in Management and Corporate Strategy
” My gratitude to both of you. Very well and elaborated lectures. This had helped me in understanding and exploring.”-Raj Sankalp, Student